Sunday 10 April 2016

Dealing With Depression


Depression is a waste of time, opportunities, emotions and a sure indication of ignorance. I've been a constant companion of depression, so I know. I wish I didn't waste so much on depression before discovering this truth. 

My first introduction to depression was during my failed marriage. For four years, depression became my intimate enemy. Nothing I did made it leave. Even when I was with friends and loved ones, depression held unto me with a death hold. 
I prayed, fasted and sowed seeds, but depression had no mercy on me. I tried to make myself happy by eating, dancing to praise and worship songs but I only got temporary respite. I read, made friends and buried my head in work, but nothing delivered me from depression. 
I cried to God for help, and God made me realise that until I deal with the issue/thing/person,  cause and source of the depression, I will remain a captive in the hands of the spirit of depression. 
So I did a lot of soul searching to find out why I was depressed. It was a painful exercise. It brought out a lot of negative feelings and truth I wanted to ignore. Feelings and emotions I would have preferred not to face, but since I had come to realize that the only way out of my constant state of depression was to know the things that troubles me, I summoned the courage to do what I had to do. 
After knowing the things that was causing me sorrow, pain and chronic depression, I realised I had to do something about them, or else the status quo will remain. 
Then I started trying all sorts to change the things I discovered was totally unacceptable for me. Where it involved someone else, I engaged that person in dialogue, expressing my feelings and discovery, appealing to him/her for co-operation in effecting a positive change. I kept in mind the fact that I have no control over the other person's action and choices. This helps in not placing unrealistic expectations/pressure on myself. I also reminded myself of the duty to respect the other person's decisions, while I respect my right to do what's best for myself at the same time. 
At the end of the day, I dealt with the issues troubling me and depression disappeared from my life. Then the issues that I couldn't deal with because I had no control over them, I learned not to allow such issues to bother me. I learned to take responsibility for how I respond and handle such issues in such a way that I'll not be controlled and manipulated in anyway by it.
We've got to know that the solution to depression is not medication. That's only palliative. The true solution to depression is facing the truth of what troubles you and finding a lasting and acceptable solution (s) to it. 
You must back your prayer and fasting with decisive actions to solve life issues/problems. It's not by folding your arms and waiting for an external saviour(s) to come and deliver you. You are your saviour. Fight for your life. Face your problems, stop living in denial. 
I saw a definition of stupidity online some days ago and it caught my attention. It says stupidity is knowing the truth, seeing the truth in action and speech, but refusing to accept the truth. 
Life is a gift. You have complete right and control over how your life will be, as long as you are willing to exercise that right. It is those who take charge of their lives and insist on ensuring a good life for themselves that gets the best out of life. Make your life worth living. 
Life is to be enjoyed and not to be endured!


1 comment:

  1. Hmm!to make it work one need to get to the root cause and deal with it properly. Thank you ma for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete