Tuesday 19 April 2016

Loving Your Perfect Imperfection


My late Grandpa's favorite abuse whenever I offend him is the size and colour of my eye balls. I grew up being very conscious of them with mixed feelings, depending on my mood. Sometimes, I'll like them, at other times; I cannot stand looking at them in the mirror while growing up.

 I've always had big boobs compared to most of my mates. Like every other thing, some of them will openly admire them, while some make fun of me. And because of their weight, I sometimes find myself siding with those that make fun of and dislike my big boobs.
 Since I gained admission into the University, I've been on the big side. I'm a big and fabulous Diva with ample sized thighs, tummy and buttocks. In a world of figure eight and hour-glassed shape, I've faced my fair share of body shaming and criticism. Despite the fact that I honestly don't have an issue with my big amazon size, I've not been allowed to be blind to the defects and flaws in being a plus sized woman.
 I am a friendly, loving, kind and open person, to a fault as I've been made to believe by those that pity me when I'm taken advantaged of by people. This has made me very cynical of my personality, though I find I don't want to change, because changing will stop me from being me, from being happy. I'll rather bear the risk of being taken advantage of.
 I can go on and on.  There are so many imperfections in my life, my body, soul and probably spirit; but I have learned to love all my perfect imperfections. I am learning to love everything that makes me Me . All the things that I cannot change about me, all the things I don't need to change about me and all the things I don't want to change about me.
 Self-acceptance is key. There are lots of people going under the knife and yet, they are not happy with their body. A lot of African women bleach their skins and end up damaging their body. Why don't we just learn to accept ourselves without endangering our lives in a bid to attain perfection? Perfection is whatever we say is perfect. We must learn to love our perfect imperfections. We are beautiful the way we are. Our imperfection makes us perfect.
 We are a complete package, and we are perfect for the purpose for which we are alive. With all our imperfections. Look into the mirror and admire every inch of your body. Look into your heart and admire your soul. Look into your spirit and love who you are. While we aim to be a better human being, love the being you wish to make better.
 Life is to be enjoyed and not to be endured! 



2 comments: