Thursday 28 April 2016

My Mother



The name of my mother is Adesola Aduke Abiola-Jacobs. She is the first wife of late Prince Adegboyega Adekunle Abiola. I am the second child and second girl out of her four children.
She gave birth to me when she was Twenty-Six years old. We have always had a close and cordial relationship. Unfortunately, We’ve spent more years apart than together in my thirty-eight years on earth.
When I was seven years old, she took all her children to her mother, including myself to school and live with her, because she was transferred to the north in her place of work.
She was a civil servant at National Cereals Research Institution (NCRI), moor plantation Ibadan. In 1985, She was transferred to Bida, Niger state and because she was having problems in her marriage (My Dad married a second wife) she did not hesitate to accept transfer and move to the North. Hence, she made the decision to take us to her mother to live with her.
It was a difficult time in my life. I missed her a lot, But learnt to live without her pretty fast. She use to come home every month end to see us but it was never the same.
I lost my concentration in my studies and started performing awfully academically. In 1987, I failed my promotional exam to primary four and was asked to repeat primary 3. My parents were very concerned about my academic performance. My mum decided to move me from a public school to a private school with the hope of improving my academic performance.
My immediate brother and I were moved to live with her father where I was enrolled in a private primary school. This moved caused a positive turn around in my academic life.
I later went back home to live with my father and siblings when I gained admission into secondary school. By this time, my mum has retired from NCRI and had travelled to England to work. She stayed abroad till I was about entering my senior secondary class one (s.s.1).
She stayed with us till I left secondary school, the she travelled back to England. I did not see her again  until Twelve years later, after I have finished my university education, started and finished law school, got married, practice as a lawyer and about to leave an abusive marriage.
It was very difficult living without the close and intimate mother/daughter relationship we had, and the constant conversation on the phone did little or nothing to ease my pain. I know she missed her children too, but because the agreement between her and my father was that she should be responsible for our school fees, she had no choice but to stay aboard and work while the money she sends home is use to educate her children.
She came back home just at the time I need her most. Despite the fact that she was disappointed and unhappy that my marriage didn’t work out, she stood by me and gave me her love and support.
Even though she did not know the full extent of the horrors I was facing in my failed marriage she did not fail me by placing public opinion and criticism above the interest of her child but weathered the storm with me.
My mother is a mother indeed. She’s caring, compassionate, kind, considerate, God-fearing, Loyal and Responsible. She has suffered a lot to ensure that my siblings and I are catered for while growing up, even till now. She’s very prayerful, always committing us to the hands of the almighty God.
Being strong and decisive person who gas ahead to do whatever God lays in my heart to do, irrespective of unfavorable conditions, many a times I have placed my mother in very uncomfortable positions, stretching her more than i should, physically, financially, emotionally and psychologically, yet, she never fails to support and be there for me.
My mother! She is worth more than a thousand diamonds.
She is priceless in worth and value.
 A true friend to all her children.
Though we are very different in personality and sometimes our priorities are also different, the love we share binds us together at all times we are more like friends nowadays than mother and daughter.
My mother has taught me how to be a good mother. She has supported me to be all God lays in my heart to be my prayer is that she will eat the fruits of her labour for long. She will live to see my children and my children’s children in Jesus Name.
Many mothers have done well but my mother has surpassed them all gallantly. This write-up is dedicated to all good mothers all over the world.
Life is to be enjoyed and not to be endured


No comments:

Post a Comment